Saturday, December 29, 2007

Happy New Year 2008!

I started this blog early in my Masters program (just a day in) and found that I had no time to maintain - so there it sat -

At our first Colloquium, in Closing Circle , I felt a need to connect to these people beyond this event, I wanted peer interaction, connection, support, to be of support to others. I thought a wiki would be a good solution. I offered to create a wiki and others expressed an interest in developing our own MAP community - BUT education at a distance poses some unique challenges as compared to f2f (face to face) education, when thinking of community.

2 others in my Opening Circle joined in, but we are all a bit busy with FT work, families and heavy school loads. yet, I still feel drawn to the need for community beyond the Opening/Closing circles of Colloquium. At the November 07 Colloquium, other MAP groups had heard about and expressed interest in joining the wiki, so that evening, back at the hotel, I embellished to welcome and include a broader group of PC students. A few more have used it, many have not, yet I remain convinced that social networking is great way to develop our own community of learners - within the self-directed, independent learning model that defines the PC MAP program. I firmly believe that by developing our own community of learners, we will all be greatly enriched, broaden our self-contained horizons and come out of the experience more fully rounded, and perhaps with some new friends from the same - or equally exciting - vastly different - areas of interest!

In response to my own interest in robust, purposeful and education social media applications, I have asked Lloyd Sharp and Noel Caniglia for some time at the Feb 08 Colloquium, to use a lab for a guided practice in wiki for any interested. So this blog is my open solicitation to find out if anyone - but me and the handful of folks trying to electrify the wiki - is interested. No guarantee they can find a time, the schedule is already defined - at worst, we can sit with laptops, in any available space, like we did in November, and help those who are interested to find ease with this media, l!

As an educator, it occurs to me that besides the obvious (BUSY, full lives) some of us may like a little practice and support, in person. I love virtual learning and collaboration, but it is new to many and I want to do whatever I can to support getting others engaged.

But more importantly, to develop a sense of community among fellow MAP students that is more rich and deep and inclusive than 1:1 emails!

Feel free to comment here or email me at achayefsky@musd20.org

Map wiki: http://map32c.wikispaces.com/Welcome+to+PC+Map+wiki

See you in the virtual world until I see you In February! Peace. A

No comments: