Saturday, August 25, 2007

Educational Evolution

I am in a self-designed program so that I can address specifically the areas of interest to me. Every time I complete a class creation, I change - I read something, I hear something, I encounter something - that challenges me and pulls me here or there.

That is the joy of this program - respect and expectation of Educational Evolution!

I participated in Prescott College's ADP Program while attaining my Bachelors so I knew this would happen, and I looked forward to it. I am working with an amazing Graduate Advisor who has already shifted (unintentionally I think) my world view - well m y plan view, anyhow!

I was originally interested in establishing sustainable professional development but now I realize there is a much more broad and interesting question to be addressed.

  • What does an effective learning community and learning environment look like? In what ways can a learning community or learning environment be green (eco-friendly). Can videoconferencing, on-line classes and social networking learning communities be a viable and powerful answer?
  • What bias' and beliefs inform our personal choices in approaches to learning? Do we say we are too stupid too learn because we are fearful of the new or are we simply protecting ourselves from some perceived shame or do we believe we are stupid. By repeating this negative mantra, are we setting in motion a subconscious self-fulfilling prophecy of failure?
    • With awareness of bias and belief and norm and group behavior, can an environment of true learning be crafted?
Today I am reading, at the recommendation of my GA, 'Blink', by Malcolm Gladwell. It is an easy and fascinating read. I recommend it to all that are interested in the human mind and condition! Tomorrow - Tipping Point!

No comments: